J Milton Dyer. (b.1870-d.1957) After moving to Cleveland from Middletown, Pennsylvania in 1881, Milton Dyer went to Cleveland schools and left for the Ecole de Beaux Arts in Paris at the turn of the century. Upon his return he started his architectural practice and accomplished his major work between 1900-1911.
He excelled in all kinds of architecture: residential, ecclesiastical, industrial and commercial. The Tavern Club (1905) a private men’s club designed with a gabled façade, Cleveland City Hall with its classical Ecole Beaux Arts to fit in with the 1903 Group Plan, and the U.S. Coast Guard Station at the mouth of the Cuyahoga reflecting the influence of Frank Lloyd Wright could not be more different yet each distinctive.